For Reading, we use a structure in the classroom called Daily 5. Daily 5's structure allows for the students to be independent and active learners in the classroom. Each of the choices of Daily 5 will be explained in detail to the students at the beginning of the year as well as the procedures and rules for each choice. This way, I am able to be at the front of the room with a small group of students doing intense, direct instruction. During this time, I am able to differentiate my instruction so that each group of students can learn at their own level and pace.
The components of Daily 5 are:
1. Work Work- This center has a spelling practice activity such as:
-white board writing
-bottle cap spelling
2. Work on Writing- This center is where the students work on their writing ideas, grammar practice, or have time to free write.
3. Read to Self- Each student has their own book basket that they have selected books from the classroom library to fill. They find a quiet spot in the room to read the pictures or read the words to themselves.
4. Listening Center- The students move to the computer station where they can play educational literacy game.They may also choose to listen to a book on CD.
5. Read to Someone- Two students may choose to read a book together quietly instead of reading alone. They may either pick a book from each other's book basket, read the same book, or get a preselected double copy book from the "Buddy Readers" bin.
Mrs. Bodner & Flournoy
The Purple Room
Copyright © 2007 NexusBuilder